Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Chapter 8: The Life and Death of Birds

They say history repeats itself. Boy were they ever right. Currently, we’ve got the 1920’s pandemic and the 1960’s race riots all at once. Sometimes I can hardly believe this is all actually happening and isn’t some kind of crazy dream. I do tend to have some crazy dreams. Like the one where Steven and I went to the baby store to buy another baby, because the last pregnancy was hell and I wasn’t about to go through that again but we (for whatever reason) wanted a fourth child. I told the kids about that dream, and now Jack actually thinks when you adopt a baby, you go to a baby store and buy it just like you would a puppy from a pet store or something. Hah.

              Anyway. This summer is still turning out to be pretty disappointing for Megan. Even though pools are allowed to be open, they for whatever reason are not open. Plus, camp was cancelled this summer, and that’s one of the only three times a year she gets to see her best friend, since she lives in another town. I sure hope next year is a better one. I’m pretty tired of this one.

              Another disappointment, this one for Steven and I. We had a hummingbird build a nest under our carport, and for a couple weeks we got such great joy watching this hummingbird. She even laid eggs and became a mommy. It was so amazing watching her endlessly darting off and bringing back food to the babies. This is not the disappointing part. What’s disappointing is that we recently had a big wind storm and ever since, we haven’t seen the mom around. You can see two little baby beaks poking up over the edge of the nest, but they never move so I’m pretty sure the babies died and the mom either died as well or abandoned the nest when the babies did. It makes me super sad. We still occasionally see a similar looking hummingbird, but I’m not sure it’s the same one, and we don’t see it as often; even though we had set up a hummingbird feeder under the carport.

Back when they were alive and well.

More clear shot of one of the babies.

              The kids had an eye appointment this morning. Turns out they both need glasses. Woopee. They’re both kind of excited, I guess since Steven and I both wear glasses? But I know this will get expensive. Right now, insurance covers them, but it won’t always. Jack just needs reading glasses, he’s a tad farsighted. Actually, the eye doctor almost didn’t even bother prescribing them, but since he did show signs of being slightly farsighted and I had mentioned he’s been resisting learning to read, he figured there was no harm in trying them out; since they’re covered by insurance anyway. Megan’s are more general, all-purpose glasses, and she’s nearsighted. Her vision really went downhill considerably over the last year. Jack picked out a red and black pair of frames and he thought they were pretty cool. Megan had a tough time deciding between a pink pair, a pink and purple pair, and a pink leopard print pair. She really liked them all, but finally decided on the leopard print ones.

Well, I guess that’s really about it. I haven’t been super good with keeping up with activities for the kids to do. I guess I just ran out of ideas and energy. But they’ve been occupying themselves decently, though not without complaint of “I’m bored!” or “I wish we could go swimming!” or something of the sort. But I suppose it could be worse, they eventually find something for themselves to do. I still feel a little guilty for not coming up with more activities. I really did mean to. Anywho, signing off for this week. As always, stay well (and safe!), my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment